1) Tell us about a time this past semester that you failed -- whether in this class, or outside of this class. Don't spare any details! It'd be even better if there was something you tried several times this semester, and failed each time. 2) Tell us what you learned from it. 3) Reflect, in general, on what you think about failure. Failure is hard, isn't it? Talk about how you handle failure (emotionally, behaviorally). Finally, talk about how this class has changed your perspective on failure -- are you more likely to take a risk now than you were four months ago?
Well, I have failed several times in the weight room particularly the bench press. I have had a goal to press 405 lb. on for my one rep max. I have been doing a strength building regime and watching what I have been eating. However, I still could not complete my goal after vigorous weeks of training. Failure is hard for me to accept and it really gets on my nerves when it comes to limitations of my strength. I handle my failures by letting the frustration drive me to finding a way to surmount my challenge. I decided to research different methods to try to attain my goal on bodybuilding.com's website.I have learned that I needed to increase my protein consumption to able me to increase strength and size in order to achieve my goal. I followed the website's workout regime and started to drink a protein shake after every workout. Ultimately, I completed the websites regime and when I attempted the 405 lb. bench press, it was an ease!

This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi Vincent,
ReplyDeleteI certainly feel more comfortable with failure after taking this class. It really provides a new meaning to the word “failure”. Sure, we all have heard you can’t move forward or succeed until we try and with that brings much failure, but this class really exemplified that meaning. It’s great that you set yourself an aggressive work out goal and to see that upon altering your routine and eating habits, you were able to succeed. As you said, many feel driven even more to accomplish something we fail at. Good luck with your future goals.
Here is the link to my Celebrating Failure post –
http://joyspurlock.blogspot.com/2016/03/celebrating-failure.html
Hi Vincent,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post! Nice job. I too am much more comfortable with failure after taking this class and doing pretty well! I think that you will reach your goal because you are working hard, and if you fail along the way, so what! You'll eventually succeed as long as your trying your best. In my post, I talk about my failures in this class. I was very nervous to receive negative feedback about my business idea. If you want to check it out, please read it here:
https://principlesofentrepreneurship.wordpress.com/2016/04/06/celebrating-failure/
Give me some feedback if you're able to as well! Good luck with the rest of the class!
Hey Vincent,
ReplyDeleteI can understand your pain and frustration with not being able to reach the desired weight, as I too have tried weight lifting in the past. However I must advise you about some of the protein drinks that are on the market. They tend to do more harm than good in the long run. I noticed you said that failure is normal and sometimes necessary for further growth mentally or emotionally. Definitely we should use the opportunities of failures as a learning tool.
http://politicalhopper.blogspot.com/2016/04/celebrating-failure.html